Monday, January 23, 2012

Horror of the Horoscope


I never miss glancing through the daily horoscope on the Times of India epaper sitting in by office cubicle or the elaborated predictions for the entire week published on weekends. There is a purpose behind reading them. Years back it was because I religiously believed in them but now the glance is just for the fun of it; to be amused reading what they believe is going to happen to me today.

Indians are very obsessed with astrology. For them their astrologer is the ultimate savior after God himself. Having said so, I am not a non believer in this science. Astrology is all about the movement of stars and planets in the universe and their impact on the lives on those coming under its influence. In fact it stuns me how they are able to calculate the present state of the planets by just knowing the date and time of birth! There must be a fixed method of calculating it, like an algorithm. This explains why there are softwares which can calculate these states. I find this quite unappealing. It takes the entire divinity out of this age old art.

Whether there is any truth in horoscope predictions is still debated. Knowing your future beforehand even if it may be true can be devastating for many especially if the ’diagnosis’ is negative. Imagine if someone predicts that you are going to lead an ordinary life or worst you are going to die early! The person will shun all efforts to become successful or lead a healthy life. In many cases the credibility of such predictions has been challenged too.

In my view we must really not be bothered by what’s written in our horoscopes. It may or may not turn out to be true but why spoil the fun in enjoying life to the fullest and living in the present? Better don’t make any horoscopes at all!

My horoscope says I have the infamous Shani till the age of 26; which means I will have to undergo lots of trials and tribulations till that age. This in a way seems true given my present condition but I am not going to let it make me put down everything and surrender. I have my struggle to live and I am sure this too shall pass. Until then keep trying, never give up and hit hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment